Sunday, May 6, 2012

Look/hear: We're gonna see a movie called "Gunga Din"

One of my all-time favorite songs is "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere," by Bob Dylan -- though I first discovered it by way of The Byrds. The lyrics don't make much sense, but there's something about it that makes me happy every time I hear it. It's a good sing-along song, too.

My absolute favorite version is the one The Byrds did with Earl Scruggs, because I am a sucker for banjo.


There are two versions of the lyrics. The first version is what The Byrds covered, but apparently they got some of the lyrics wrong. When Dylan wrote a second version of the song a couple of years later, he added a line that called out Roger McGuinn by name.

This is the Swell Season covering that other version. So sweet.

 

And here's The Byrds' album version, off of "Sweetheart of the Rodeo."


 Any time I need to be cheered up, I listen to some version of this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment