Saturday, June 16, 2012

Look/hear: Summer music

This summer promises a particularly excellent lineup of concerts. Thanks to my new job, I'll actually be able to see almost all of the ones I had hoped to get to -- and there are about nine of them. There are few things I love more than seeing a good show with friends. 

Deer Tick, "Ashamed"
I saw these guys the other weekend, and they put on an excellent show. They played almost all of my favorites from "War Elephant" (their first album) and "Divine Providence" (their latest album). They even covered The Replacements' "Kiss Me on the Bus." Perfect.

Reigning Sound, "Call Me #1"
iTunes tells me that I've played this song close to 60 times since the EP came out this spring. I can't get enough of Greg Cartwright and his various projects -- and this song, in particular. I'm going to see Reigning Sound this weekend.


Father John Misty, "Only Son of  Ladies Man"
J. Tillman is clearly in the middle of a serious nervous breakdown, but it sounds so, so beautiful. Planning on seeing him this summer -- before he loses it completely. I'm hoping to see some of those dance moves in person. And that bass player -- I just can't.

 

Sebadoh, "Rebound"
As if this summer wasn't going to be amazing enough, I bought tickets to see these guys in August. This is probably the show I'm most excited about. "Bakesale" has got to be one of the most perfect albums ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment