Monday, August 27, 2012

Move/make: Hiatus

Ongoing illness means I haven't been working out much these last weeks, and won't be able to work out for at least another week.

I'm not going to sweat it too much (for once). My birthday is coming up soon, and I want to enjoy the things I have accomplished. I know when I'm able, I'll work out. But right now, I physically cannot.

When I can (and when my new running shoes have arrived in the mail), I want to:
  • Keep running, but make sure it's always enjoyable. I was training for a 10K that would have been this last week, but sickness kept me out of it. I was starting to get burned out, too -- feeling the pressure to meet a deadline my body was probably not ready for anyway. The next 10K is in October, so I have a couple of months to go at a more sustainable pace.
  • Because I don't have to push distance running so hard, I want to mix in interval training and hill work, to help my speed and coordination when I run. 
  • Do upper-body work. I was good at this last fall, but let it go to focus only on running. I know I've started to plateau anyway, and strengthening my upper body is imperative if I'm going to run a mud 5K next summer.
I'm using this down time to check in with myself, and make sure that working out doesn't lose the enjoyment it has always had.

I'm also finally cooking for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment