Friday, September 7, 2012

Look/hear: Get happy

I started a new job this week. The pay is good, and I'll be advising several hundred (!) students who need me, but I've already got a legal pad filled with notes from training, and an ever-growing to-do list.

Needless to say, this weekend feels much-earned. I had dinner with friends tonight. Tomorrow, I'll go to my hometown to see friends from high school, eat breakfast, and go to an annual rummage sale. I'll spend the evening with my best friend. Sunday includes breakfast with my boyfriend's beloved grandfather, and my first run coming off major illness.

When I'm feeling overwhelmed -- when all those good things waiting at the end of the week seem far off -- I like to listen to music. Even if it's just a song between the car and my desk, it's usually enough to lift my spirits.

Some of my never-fail, all-time-favorite happy songs are:

The Clash, "Revolution Rock"
I've owned multiple copies of this on CD and vinyl. I never get tired of it. It's the album that's stayed in rotation the longest (I think I was 14 when I got it), and this song, in particular, always cheers me up.  I finally re-uploaded a bunch of music that got corrupted on my iPod, so I can listen to this again.

 

Desmond Dekker, "Peace of Mind"
Someone else I've loved since high school. It doesn't matter that he's singing about trouble and misery. His voice always makes me feel better.


Steve Earle, "Steve's Last Ramble"
I have a lot of good feelings about this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment