Friday, September 7, 2012

Think/act: bell hooks

"There will be no mass-based feminist movement as long as feminist ideas are understood only by a well-educated few."

bell hooks, “Educating Women: A Feminist Agenda”

---
Why I love bell hooks, why feminism that isn't intersectional and inclusive is bullshit, why education has to be accessible to everyone, etc.

And really, this sums up all my feelings about why academia, in general, has failed and continues to fail us. Progressive ideas are worthless unless they can be accessed and enacted by everyone. I know I spent most of last semester talking about arbitrary power dynamics in my teaching class, but honestly, how can collapsing them not be the first thing that has to happen for everyone to be happy, healthy and free?

No comments:

Post a Comment