Sunday, September 23, 2012

Think/act: Solitude



Alone time is important to me. I don't always do a good job of allowing myself downtime to read, or walk, or relax. I also don't always do a good job of balancing solitude with spending time with loved ones.

But lately, I've been feeling more balanced. This morning, I woke up before my boyfriend, and took a three-mile walk outside, near a lake. I brought music and enjoyed the sunshine. I was awake, and everything felt possible.

I've been reading more, too. The stack above is what I keep by my bed. There are books I'm working on, books I want to get to soon, and things I like to keep near. There are short stories, longer fiction, a book about running, and a book about being vegan. I also keep a notebook for quotes, and another one for my own writing. In grad school, it was hard to find time to read anything not related to coursework. When I graduated, I promised myself I'd finally get back to reading for fun. Which is, of course, also reading for work, because I'm always researching, always learning, always thinking about future dissertation topics.

Since I study modern American literature, my to-read list skews heavily toward that. I know I need to branch out a bit more, and read the writers who've influenced my favorite writers. I know I need to keep reading feminist and composition theory. But my list is so long, I don't stress about it now. I'm just enjoying being able to read all the things I love that my grad program didn't value.

It's these little things -- walking in the morning, reading Lorrie Moore without feeling guilty for not reading for class -- that keep me happiest when I'm alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment