Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Look/hear: Wanderlust

With graduation looming nearer, I've been feeling unmoored. I don't know what my future holds. I'm not looking forward to my summer job. I don't know what I'll be doing in the fall.

What I really want to do is pack up and leave for the summer -- get lost in a forest out in Oregon or Washington, or hike through the Ozarks in Arkansas. I want to go alone.

The music I've been listening to makes me think of traveling solo, of getting lost in wild places. It makes me think of weird, unreal experiences in staggeringly gorgeous landscapes. The vibe is a little witchy, a little mournful.

Father John Misty, "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings"
Spooky psych rock from J. Tillman. Makes me want to lay in a clearing in the woods, lonesome and delirious with exhaustion.


Damien Jurado, "Arkansas"
This song makes me miss my sister and the Ozarks something fierce. 


Dolorean, "Heather Remind Me How This Ends"
Another beautiful and lonely song, perfect for falling asleep outside.


My musical tastes always go in phases. Right now it's a mix of alt-country, folk and pysch. Songs that remind me of summer, of sickening heat, of leaving, of being lonely. Thanks to my roommate, I've gotten a lot of new, great stuff lately (Centro-Matic, J. Tillman, various Woody Guthrie tributes, and a lot more). This music feels right to me now. It helps placate that wanderlust ... a bit.

I also want to fit in as much fun as possible before my summer job starts, so I may end up seeing Father John Misty and Damien Jurado in the upcoming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment