Sunday, April 8, 2012

Look/hear: Jangle pop

This weekend, I found two new bands, and re-discovered an old one. I think this month's theme is jangly songs with pop hooks.

Zookeeper, "I Live in the Mess You Are"
I couldn't find the EP version of this song, which is a lot better and a little more twang-y.

 

The Sundays, "Here's Where the Story Ends"
A female-fronted band that sounds a lot like The Smiths. The opening guitar in this reminds me of "Cemetry Gates." How did I not know about them before this?

 

Traveling Wilburys, "New Blue Moon"
The best supergroup of all time -- Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and George Harrison.

 

1 comment:

  1. Houston did a cover of "She" by The Sundays that absolutely slays. Unfortunately, it's on the one album of Houston rarities that I don't have (Live on Fish Island...you can get it used on Amazon for just $30).

    That album also has a Cure cover ("Fascination Street"), a Rush cover ("Limelight"), a bunch of demos, and a couple of unused/otherwise unreleased songs.

    ReplyDelete