Sunday, April 1, 2012

Move/make: Week 1

I weighed myself today -- I'm now at 175.2 pounds. I don't know if my weight a week ago was a fluke or not, as I haven't been in the habit of weighing myself for years, but I find it hard to believe I lost nine pounds. Either way, it's gone down, which is good, because I've been training hard for an upcoming 5K.

Workouts:
Ran 32 minutes on Monday
Biked three miles on Tuesday
Biked three miles and ran 32 minutes on Wednesday
Walked one hour and biked three miles on Thursday
Day off on Friday
Ran 32 minutes on Saturday
Ran 35 minutes today (Sunday)

Thoughts on food:
I ate out three days in a row with friends, but not eating meat forces me to make semi-healthy choices. I've learned that I really like seitan (made from wheat gluten). I try not to go out to eat by myself, and instead save that time/money for when I can make it something social. Spending time and sharing good food with friends makes me happy. It's nourishing in an entirely different, but no less important, way.

Overall reflections:
Thanks to a new running buddy, I've been running longer and more often than I ever have before. Before I quit running a couple of months ago, I was up to about 40 minutes of non-stop running. When I started running with my friend last week, we were only able to run 18 minutes. Now we've nearly doubled it, and our route includes about five minutes of steady incline. There's no way I would have made this much progress on my own. And, like sharing meals, I've found it's really comforting and inspiring to run with someone else.

I've also had a lot more energy. I visited my best friend and her nearly two-year-old son last week, and I chased him around the house for a while without feeling lazy or tired. I nap less, and I actually look forward to biking to campus every day. Running hasn't gotten easier to go out and do, but I have found that I start to hit my stride around 25 minutes or so, and it gets easier to finish the run.

Overall, I feel more at peace with myself.

Goals:
By this coming Thursday, I want to run a full 5K, to make sure I'm ready for my race on Saturday. I also need to get better at cooking for myself. I'd love to make it to the gym for weight training, but I think I'll just be glad to get up to speed for Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment